Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tom Coburn re: NSA Spying



So here is the response I got from Coburn. I wrote about my concern of the illegal spying done by the NSA.Somehow I get a response about a study of "fusion centers". Read the response letter below .

 Senator_Coburn@coburn.senate.gov
Dear ProgressiveOkie
 
Thank you for your email regarding my report on Department of Homeland Security (DHS) “fusion centers” and your recommendation to audit DHS fusion centers. It is good to hear from you, and I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response.
 
As your email states, I recently released a two-year, bipartisan investigation that found that DHS efforts to engage state and local intelligence “fusion centers” has wasted taxpayer money, not yielded significant useful information to support federal counterterrorism intelligence efforts, and sometimes even endangered citizens’ civil liberties. This report only covers the federal government’s involvement in fusion centers, which are state and local entities. You can find this report here: http://1.usa.gov/PTGyi4.
 
Although I cannot speak as to exactly what each fusion center is doing, there has been no evidence to support that the federal government is systematically illegally spying on American citizens. However, I understand your concern, based on the lack of judgment and oversight of these centers. Furthermore, I strongly question the federal funding these centers receive, which DHS estimates to be between $289 million and $1.4 billion since 2003—broad estimates that differ by more than $1 billion.
 
I support your recommendation to audit DHS fusion centers. Granting funds for state and local fusion center efforts year after year, without expecting or even examining the results received from previous grants, provides no mechanism to ensure federal taxpayers receive a return on their investments.
 
As your Senator and the ranking member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, I will continue to identify the wasteful, duplicative, and unnecessary spending at DHS and will continue to advocate for common-sense solutions to reduce our $17 trillion in national debt.
 
Again, thank you for your email. God bless.
 
Sincerely,
December 9, 2013
Tom A. Coburn, M.D.
United States Senator
 
TC: jw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts